Recipes from Joy of Cooking rewritten so they're possible in a small kitchen on a small budget. Enjoy.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Breaded Pork Chops, Lima Beans, & Fettucine Alfredo


So I want to do another bacon recipe for Mike.

But the only bacon recipe left? BLT. And no, I’m not bothering with that. If you don’t know how to make that, you fail.

So I’m gonna do a recipe for myself. My birthday’s this week anyways.

I should make a cake, but my birthday’s Wednesday which means I can spread out the cooking to two weekends.

I do have a traditional birthday dinner. Shake and Bake porkchops, lima beans, and angel hair pasta with alfredo sauce. I’ve liked this since I can remember. Weird, right? What little kid likes pork chops?

Anyways, I’m going to do what I can from this.

Breaded Pork Chops

Joy of Cooking really says this for the recipe: Prepare Breaded Veal Cutlets, substituting pork chops.

So I’m going to do the whole substitution for you! ooh. ahh.

Ingredients
4 pork loin chops
½ c flour
2 c bread crumbs (if you can use fresh, go for it. But that’s so much bread it is actually worth it to buy canned crumbs.)
2 eggs
1 tbsp milk
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and pepper

Season the pork chops with salt and pepper.
Spread the flour on a plate, and the bread crumbs on another plate.
Beat the eggs and the milk together in a bowl.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
One or two at a time, as many will fit in the skillet at once, prepare the pork chops. Coat them in the flour first, then dip in the egg/milk mixture, and then coat with the bread crumbs. Cook in the skillet for 3 to 4 minutes each side, until brown and crunchy.
Drain on paper towels before serving.

Lima Beans

Okay, I doubt you’ll find fresh lima beans and actually want to take the time to cook them, so here’s a way different recipe.

Ingredients
1 package frozen lima beans (as much as you want)
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dried parsley.

Thaw the lima beans by microwaving them in a bowl with some water.
Stir in the butter, lemon juice, and parsley until the butter has melted.

Note: if you don’t like the taste of lemon too much, use less juice. That much is only a suggestion here.

Fettuccine Alfredo

Because angel hair pasta is traditional for me, that’s what I’ll be using. You can substitute whatever pasta you want.

Ingredients
1 pound angel hair pasta
½ c butter
1 c heavy cream
1 c grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper

Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water (4-6 quarts, with a pinch of salt to keep the pasta from sticking) until it is tender. The pasta package will give you guidelines on the time.
Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. When the pasta is done, drain it and add it to the skillet—or add the butter to the pasta if your skillet isn’t big enough.
Add the cream, Parmesan, and salt and pepper. Toss it all together over low heat.

Notes: When I made this, I accidentally added only ½ cup of cream and ¾ cup of Parmesan. It was still delicious, just with a more subtle flavor. Try this if you’re on a diet and want lower fat in this dish. 


also, is anyone reading this? Please comment if you are, I'm feeling invisible here.

No comments:

Post a Comment